Large copper mines once existed near the town of Ruth, or "New Ruth" as the town is now called. The big yellow hill behind this marker is waste rock left after the mineral-bearing ore is stripped from the open-pit mines.
The marker reads as follows:
The famed open-pit copper mines of eastern Nevada, including the Liberty Pit, largest in the state, are located two miles south of this point. Through the first half of the 20th century, this area produced nearly a billion dollars in copper, gold and silver.The huge mounds seen from here are waste rock which was removed to uncover the ore.
Two miles east of here, near Lane City, was the Elijah, the first mine discovered in the Robinson Mining District. Lane City, originally called Mineral City, was settled in 1869 and had a population of 400. At Mineral City was the Ragsdale Station, one hotel and a stage station.
We had to leave here and rush back to East Ely in order to make our 1:00 PM excursion.